Sometime back we asked a question to educators, students and professionals about things they would like to see changed about Architecture Education in India. CLICK HERE.
Following message from Prof. Sudipto Chakraborty was posted in a Facebook group as a reply to the question we asked. We are publishing the same with some amendments and kind permission from Prof. Sudipto Chakraborty.
The GOVT must FEEL and acknowledge that architecture is a basic need. Presently, the government is only concerned with ‘construction’ of any kind, as infrastructure, or as ‘housing’, for politics. Architecture has to retain culture, create art, generate commerce, satisfy legalities and go in line with the national policies. This BIG PICTURE is the first thing which we need to understand. Making it short and coming down to academics, I feel : “WHAT IS TAUGHT IN FIVE YEARS NOW, CAN BE TAUGHT IN ONE, MAXIMUM TWO.” This will feel shocking, but I TRUST SO. and I also trust, “IF WE COULD REALLY USE THE LONG FIVE YEARS, we could churn out GREAT ARCHITECTS”. Logically,
1) Architecture should be a maximum four-year course.
2) It must have a balance – between ‘serving the market’ and ‘changing the market’
3) It must be highly technical but finally artistic.
4) There is NO need for ‘architectural engineering’ if architecture course is recast and taught well
5) The syllabus of architecture is NOT THAT BAD already, but the NEGLECT IN TEACHING subjects like structure, services, specifications, estimation, legalities, materials, is THE CULPRIT. ALMOST NOWHERE these subjects are taught properly.
5) Architecture MUST converge to GREEN architecture- not the GIMMICK GREEN but TRUE GREEN. there is nothing to fear, nobody will loose business, green will be a big business instead.
7) In architecture we need bright, inspiring, elevating, polymath teachers. ‘Doctorate by all teachers’ is a highly mistaken approach.
8) There must be a conclave of architectural educators AND STUDENTS or a suggestion-interaction forum like this WHICH CAN TRANSLATE SUGGESTIONS.
You need to login in order to like this post: click here